Sunday, February 26, 2012

Error connecting to a SQL 2005 (June CTP) Cube using Excel 2003

When I use the PivotTable Wizard in Excel 2003 to connect to a SQL 2005 cube
,
the wizard successfully finds and connects to the cube, but when I click
'finish' to retrieve the data, I get the following error:
"Initialization of the data source failed.
Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sure
the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If you
see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the database.
"
Any ideas what could be causing this? I have Excel 2003 and SQL 2005 (June
CTP) running on the same machine.
Thanks,
--
DuncanHi Duncan
I have the same error.
I have Excel 2000 and Excel 2003 installed on my pc and SQL server 2000 and
SQL Server 2005 installed on a server. It seems that I can use most
combinations of these 2 - Excel 2000 will read data from SQL server 2000 and
2005, Excel 2003 will read data from SQL Server 2000 cubes.
But I get the same error as you when I try to read data from SQL Server 2005
Analysis Services Cubes from Excel 2003. It knows the cubes are there but
can't read the data.
Did you manage to resolve this? Can anyone else help?
Regards
Dave
"Duncan" wrote:

> When I use the PivotTable Wizard in Excel 2003 to connect to a SQL 2005 cu
be,
> the wizard successfully finds and connects to the cube, but when I click
> 'finish' to retrieve the data, I get the following error:
> "Initialization of the data source failed.
> Check the database server or contact your database administrator. Make sur
e
> the external database is available, and then try the operation again. If y
ou
> see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the databas
e. "
> Any ideas what could be causing this? I have Excel 2003 and SQL 2005 (June
> CTP) running on the same machine.
> Thanks,
> --
> Duncan|||If you found a solution, please let me know. I'm getting the same error
message.
Thanks a lot.
Duncan wrote:
> *When I use the PivotTable Wizard in Excel 2003 to connect to a SQL
> 2005 cube,
> the wizard successfully finds and connects to the cube, but when I
> click
> 'finish' to retrieve the data, I get the following error:
> "Initialization of the data source failed.
> Check the database server or contact your database administrator.
> Make sure
> the external database is available, and then try the operation again.
> If you
> see this message again, create a new data source to connect to the
> database. "
> Any ideas what could be causing this? I have Excel 2003 and SQL 2005
> (June
> CTP) running on the same machine.
> Thanks,
> --
> Duncan *
hpanneflek
---
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
---
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1781676.html|||hpanneflek wrote:
> *If you found a solution, please let me know. I'm getting the same
> error message.
> Thanks a lot. *
I got around this by re-registering the OLAP v9.0 dll:
regsvr32 c:\program files\common files\system\oledb\msolap90.dll
This worked for me.
Good luck
Dave
Daffyd
---
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
---
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1781676.html|||Thank you! It worked.
I've been using AS 2K for 3 years now and I love it. I started playing
with AS2K5 and I am realizing that a lot of things changed. My email is
hpanneflek@.univision.net in case you have any question, I'll be glad to
help.
Thanks again.
Daffyd wrote:
> *I got around this by re-registering the OLAP v9.0 dll:
> regsvr32 c:\program files\common files\system\oledb\msolap90.dll
> This worked for me.
> Good luck
> Dave *
hpanneflek
---
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
---
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1781676.html

No comments:

Post a Comment