Sunday, February 19, 2012

Error backuping up database to tape.

I am trying to backup a database to tape. I'm using Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition.
When I try to do the backup using Enterprise Manager I see the following message:

Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)
Cannot open backup device '\\.\Tape0'. Device error or device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more details.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

In the Event Viewer is logged the following message:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17055
Date: 14/1/2004
Time: 10:29:20
User: N/A
Computer: MySQLName
Description:
18204 :
BackupTapeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device '\\.\Tape0' failed to open. Operating system error = 5(Access is denied.).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I can do the backup to disk normally, but I need to do to tape.

Please, help me to solve this issue.I found the solution for my problem.
There is some pre-requisites to run/install SQL Server. If SQL Server services are running with a Domain User Account, this account must be member of Administrators or Power Users group. I put the account that are running the services in Administrators group and my problem was solved. This pre-requisite is documented in SQL Server Books On Line.|||Don't mean to "preach" to you or anything, but I would keep backups to disk, and add a step to the job to backup the backup onto the tape afterwards. Many obvious things can go wrong if you do a direct dump onto the tape. It is also easier to restore a file from a tape onto the share, and then do a native restore from it, in case the server you're restoring to doesn't have a local tape drive. Otherwise, along with recovering the server you'll have to attach a local tape device to it, before you even get to see the backup of your database.

No comments:

Post a Comment