Sunday, February 19, 2012

Error backing up database to tape

I am trying to backup a database to tape. I'm using
Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition and Windows
Server 2003.
When I try to do the backup using Enterprise Manager I see
the following message:
Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)
Cannot open backup device '\\.\Tape0'. Device error or
device off-line. See the SQL Server error log for more
details.
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
In the Event Viewer is logged the following message:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: MSSQLSERVER
Event Category: (2)
Event ID: 17055
Date: 14/1/2004
Time: 10:29:20
User: N/A
Computer: MySQLName
Description:
18204 :
BackupTapeFile::OpenMedia: Backup device '\\.\Tape0'
failed to open. Operating system error = 5(Access is
denied.).
If I try do it using OSQL (I want to do using OSQL), the
same error is logged on Event Viewer.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
I try use the Administrator user, but I get the same error.
I can do the backup to disk normally, but I need to do to
tape.
Can any one help me to solve this problem?
Thank you.Can't say I've tried backing up to tape directly.
Can you not backup to file & then backup to tape using NT Backup or similar?
I prefer to backup to file initially because it means I can normally restore
from file which is much faster than tape. Only if something goes wrong with
the file or server itself do I need to resort to the tape...
It sounds like it cannot find the media. Is the correct media inserted, with
the correct name?
Can you backup to this tape through NT backup or similar to verify it is
related to SQL Server & not Windows?
Cheers,
James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/f1pictures|||I need backup database directly to tape.
I'm using a tape that never was used and another tape,
that was used by NTBACKUP. I see the same error with
everyone.
I can use NTBACKUP to backup files to tape without
problems.
quote:

>--Original Message--
>Can't say I've tried backing up to tape directly.
>Can you not backup to file & then backup to tape using NT

Backup or similar?
quote:

>I prefer to backup to file initially because it means I

can normally restore
quote:

>from file which is much faster than tape. Only if

something goes wrong with
quote:

>the file or server itself do I need to resort to the

tape...
quote:

>It sounds like it cannot find the media. Is the correct

media inserted, with
quote:

>the correct name?
>Can you backup to this tape through NT backup or similar

to verify it is
quote:

>related to SQL Server & not Windows?
>
>--
>Cheers,
>
>James Goodman MCSE, MCDBA
>http://www.angelfire.com/sports/f1pictures
>
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment